Skip to main content

Violence and the Stability of Democracy

What does a democracy need in order to be stable? Democracies across all of time have all encountered issues and, in many cases, failed in one way or another. One particularly damaging force is violence. You might think this is just a sophomoric interpretation, but violence is at the root cause of many destablising societal problems. It is often overlooked or dismissed until its in your face as the cause of numerous societal problems. Violence makes a society feel less safe, can make further violence feel more acceptable, and can erode democratic institutions. 

Violence makes societies less safe. Everyone understands this on a basic level, but lets consider the further implications of this. To use an negative example, the city I grew up in had very little crime, never had a school shooting, and overall had a good atmosphere. I never felt unsafe walking outside or even leaving my house unlocked. I recently met a friend who comes from Milwaukee. And their experiences are the complete opposite - it feels unsafe to walk outside alone, locking houses and cars is an absolute must, and there was always some anxiety in the air. I'm not saying all of Milwaukee was like this, but just the specific neighborhood that they were living in at the time. An investigation by The Trace (a national non-profit who investigates this kind of stuff), finds that Milwaukee ranks the second nationally for shootings in neighborhoods near schools, with over 400 a year. This leads to people feeling less safe, as is further explained in the TMJ4 news article

Violence begets more violence. Take school shootings, as an example. The number varies based on how you define it (whether you include higher ed, or only include incidents with casualties), but 2025 has the most number based on Wikipedia's definition. I did a few searches for incidents on University of Wisconsin campuses, and many of the 13 campuses have had incidents, one being in 2025 at UW Platteville. You can look at any other state and see a similar pattern. The regularity of this violence only serves to make more violence feel acceptable. It is a negative feedback loop. 

Violence destroys democratic institutions. Violence itself makes individuals feel less safe in their communities, which depresses the political process. It dampens free expression and limits free assembly. Political violence is violence specifically targeted at political institutions. A recent example is the assassination of Minnesota state representative Melissa Hortman. The increase in acceptance of political violence increases the rate of violent acts against the political process. Brookings.edu goes further in detail about political violence and American democracy. It is important to understand that violent acts do not have to physically destroy a system. If voters feel intimidated to vote a certain way, if judges feel pressure, if congressmembers are targeted, these can all weaken and compromise the democratic process.

 

Charlie Kirk, a right-wing political activist, was assassinated at Utah Valley University on September 10, 2025. His death has been used as an example of increasing political violence in the United States. (image sourced from Wikimedia Commons, CC BY KSL News Utah)
Democracy and violence in a society are fundamentally incompatible. A democratic system is weakened significantly by violent acts in a society, especially those targeted at the democratic institution itself. Violence can undermine a stable democracy in various ways: by making communities feel less safe, encouraging further violence, and erode democratic institutions. A stable democracy, therefore, needs to take measures to reduce and limit violence. Political leaders, all the way up to the President, need to understand the danger of a society with increasing violence and act accordingly. 

 

Further reading:

Milwaukee safety: https://www.tmj4.com/about-us/lighthouse/too-close-to-class-tmj4-investigation-reveals-more-than-4-100-shootings-happened-near-milwaukee-schools

Political violence and American democracy: https://www.brookings.edu/articles/political-violence-in-the-us/

Is political violence rising in America: https://govfacts.org/long-term-challenges-future/democratic-challenges/political-violence-extremism/is-political-violence-rising-in-america/

Dramatic rise of school shootings: https://www.facs.org/media-center/press-releases/2024/study-quantifies-dramatic-rise-in-school-shootings-and-related-fatalities-since-1970/

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Learning

Yesterday was my first day of class for my senior year of college. I had four classes, and each one of them mentioned AI within the first fifteen minutes. Today, artificial intelligence tools are not as widely accepted as other technologies, like the iPhone or laptop computer, were back in their day. It is both treated in suspect and highly politicized.  On November 30, 2022, the "shot heard around the world" was when OpenAI released the first version of ChatGPT to the public. I cannot believe it has been nearly four years. Its offering was simple - to answer any question you asked of it. You could ask "What is the meaning of life?", and Chat would respond, probably referencing Douglas Adams'  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Or, you could ask it to do your homework for you. And the AI bot would do it. OpenAI created the ultimate cheating machine. Now anyone could have essays written for them, math problems solved for them, research conducted for them,...

The Real Lessons from an Art Class

Art class -- what is the value of it anyway? Isn't that just something you take for fun? Well, you could do that. There is a lot more to art classes, in university, than meets the eye. They can help build critical thinking skills, offer a new perspective on the world, and provide a new form of expression.  I am going to mostly be talking about my experiences, which I understand are fairly unique. For my freshman through junior years of college, I went to a smaller branch campus that had approximately 200 students. Our art classes were taught by a local artist, not by a standard "art professor." I really appreciated this aspect as it made everything feel very grounded. This was his career, and something he was able to sustain himself doing. The two art classes I took were oil painting and drawing I, and each of them gave me a different slice of the art world.  So, art and critical thinking, what's the connection? Well, this is going to sound basic, but in order to buil...

Success and Starting Over

I don't know anyone who hasn't started over at some point in their life, whether they moved to a new area, or got a new job, or decided to study something different in school. Starting over is a core human experience, and one that you should know how to navigate. I have "achieved my goals", then quit and moved to a new job. I moved out of my hometown and learned how to live with roommates. In my last essay, Winning Is a Habit , I introduced the lessons from Vince Lombardi and the influence my dad had on my life. Those lessons underpin it all and give me the framework for trying new things. I want to talk about my first job. I got hired at a local fast-food chain when I was 15, and I stuck with it for nearly four and a half years. My dad worked for the same company back in the day, and when I indicated I was thinking about getting a job, he helped me apply. My duties at first were very simple - bring food out to customers and keep the dining room clean. I would eventua...